Kony

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Traveling

So Brasov turned out to be a pretty awesome place to visit. I got a chance to spend some time with a bunch of great people from all over the globe. When I first arrived in the city, I hadn't been in the hostel for ten minutes before I was invited to go out with a group of people from Argentina and Germany. These guys had been traveling all over, and had just recently came from Istanbul, Turkey; which is where I am headed on Monday. They all admitted that so far, Istanbul had been their favorite spot - and that it had the best food. Which right now is key for me, because Moldova has been hurting in that aspect. The next day, I got a chance to go out and explore the city, go up into the mountains, see the famous "Bran Castle", and eat some awesome food all before getting back onto the bus for another ten hour ride to Chisinau. For twenty hours of travel time, I'd say it was a pretty short trip; but it was definitely a great experience that was well worth it. I have found that most of the international bus rides here are actually really cheap; equal to or less than what I would pay for a night here in Moldova. So as soon as I returned here to Chisinau that next day, I taught another English lesson here in the offices, then hopped on another overnight bus to Kiev, Ukraine.

Kiev is a bit more modern than Brasov, but it is still home to some of the world's most amazing cathedrals that have been around for centuries. I was able to spend two days in this city, exploring, eating more good food (which really almost tasted like the best food I have ever eaten, after being in Moldova all this time), and hanging out with more awesome people from all over.  The guy in the bunk next to me was actually from Denver, Colorado. Small world. My first night there in Kiev, I went out to eat with a group of people from the Hostel, including the other Colorado guy. This guy, throughout the night, made sure to give me as much grief as possible about me not "representing" Colorado because I wasn't "doing as the Ukrainians do" by downing as much vodka as possible. Last I saw of him, he was passed out in the hallway of the hostel at 3:00am, with an upcoming flight to Chicago at 5:30am, haha. He was a nice guy though. Again for twenty hours of travel time the trip was pretty short, but I definitely enjoyed myself, and I am thankful for the experience.

Only two more English classes here before I head off to Turkey! Today is one of them actually, and we are throwing a party for a couple different birthdays, and my leaving; so it should be fun! Stay posted!


Here are some pictures from my travels:

A church in Brașov, built in the early 1300's.
 Part of Downtown, Brașov

Brașov


In front of Dracula's Castle.


Bran Castle (Dracula's)


Castle Courtyard.




View of Brașov from the mountains.

Part of downtown, Kiev.


Old Russian Orthodox Church.







Pretty awesome experience! 


Love And Be Loved


















1 comment:

  1. Incredible experience and pictures. Especially loved the ones
    of my beautiful grandson. thanks for posting. Have fun in Turkey
    with your mom. love and kisses, Gaammy

    ReplyDelete